A three-hour volunteer shift to help revive a coral bed in need of tender loving care for a 5 night stay in the Maldives is the fairest kind of trade, non? If you think so, we think this contest is for you.
Huvafen Fushi and Kiwi Collection have teamed up to offer a heavenly prize package of 5 nights in a private, over-water bungalow. During your stay, you’ll participate in a three-hour coral recovery project led by the resident marine biologist. After your hard day’s work, you’ll be treated to a relaxing massage treatment at their famous underwater spa. A giveaway to make your friends green with envy.
To enter, leave a comment with your planet-friendly travel tip below. We’ve come up with nine, and if we choose yours to be the tenth, this prize package valued at $7,000 is yours. Winner will be announced on our Facebook page and blog on Earth Day, April 22, 2011.
Top 10 Planet Friendly Travel Tips
10. Take a “Volunteer-cation”. Help dig a well in a region that needs clean water, join in on an urban community garden project or seek out another volunteer opportunity that gives back. The International Volunteer Program Association offers guidance on different programs.
9. Use that towel more than once. A daily average of 30 gallons of water is used per guest room for laundry, so minimize water usage by reusing linens.
8. Shut off the tap while you’re brushing your teeth (it could save up to 10 gallons of water a day).
7. The lights, television and air conditioning don’t need to be on when you’re not in the room, so flick off.
6. Choose a cleaner dry cleaner. Request that the concierge send your silk shirts and other special items to an eco-friendly dry cleaner.
5. Boil water to reduce your need for bottled water. Tip: Boiling water vigorously for 1 minute kills common water borne pathogens. Allow it to cool to room temperature, then add a pinch of salt per liter to improve the taste.
4. Drink and dine local. Having Bordeaux in Bordeaux and Calabrese olives in Calabria means the bottle and fruit didn’t have far to travel.
3. Recharge and reuse. Choose rechargeable power sources for your tech gadgets, so fewer batteries end up in land-fills.
1. Your winning comment here!
Contest closes Thursday, April 21st.
Feel free to comment more than once. We recommend you keep within the word count of 50, however, submissions with over 50 words will still be considered. We encourage participants to “Like” Kiwi Collection’s Facebook page, however, not doing so does not harm your chances of winning. Kiwi Collection reserves the right to edit, publish and promote comment responses at our discretion. Kiwi Collection reserves the right to change or disqualify entries as per our discretion. Winning comment is only for the comment we choose to publish (with potential edits). Similar entries do not qualify to win – even if your entry had a similar answer, unless we choose yours directly you do not qualify to win. Prize is for a standard room, double occupancy and based on availability. Blackout dates may occur. Stay must be completed by March 31, 2012. Prize is non-transferable and is not redeemable for cash. Airfare and incidentals are not included. Void where prohibited. By submitting a comment, you agree to these terms and conditions.