In celebration of Earth Day, we’ve compiled a list of 10 planet friendly travel tips.
10. Take a “Volunteer-cation”. Help dig a well in a region that needs clean water, join in on an urban community garden project or seek out another volunteer opportunity that gives back. The International Volunteer Program Association offers guidance on different programs.
9. Use that towel more than once. A daily average of 30 gallons of water is used per guest room for laundry, so minimize water usage by reusing linens.
8. Shut off the tap while you’re brushing your teeth (it could save up to 10 gallons of water a day).
7. The lights, television and air conditioning don’t need to be on when you’re not in the room, so flick off.
6. Choose a cleaner dry cleaner. Request that the concierge send your silk shirts and other special items to an eco-friendly dry cleaner.
5. Boil water to reduce your need for bottled water. Tip: Boiling water vigorously for 1 minute kills common water borne pathogens. Allow it to cool to room temperature, then add a pinch of salt per liter to improve the taste.
4. Drink and dine local. Having Bordeaux in Bordeaux and Calabrese olives in Calabria means the bottle and fruit didn’t have far to travel.
3. Recharge and reuse. Choose rechargeable power sources for your tech gadgets, so fewer batteries end up in land-fills.
1. Bathe together with your beloved on your romantic sojourns to reduce water consumption to half.
Congratulations to K. Sehgal who’s comment submission is the winner of five nights stay at Huvafen Fushi in the Maldives!